Monday, November 29, 2010

My Day With Duke

 

A number of years ago, while I was in Northern Ireland, I was introduced to the tunes of Duke Special. Little did I know that one day I would be driving to the airport to pick him up for a house concert in our living room!

Initially I wasn’t that keen on Duke’s music. Possibly because of his thick accent (I hadn’t learned to appreciate the Northern Irish accent at this point) but mostly because I hadn’t heard anything like it before. Sometimes I like a song or band right at the start, but I have found with some of my very favorite music I have had to allow room for growth and appreciation. Duke Special is one of those that took me a bit of time and I’m realizing part of this is because of the depth of his music and lyrics.

In December of 2008, I saw him play live at St. Georges Market in Belfast. I must say that it was at this point I fell in love with Duke Special. His performance and the whole set up of the entire gig was creative and very impressive. After that gig I started listening to Duke a whole lot more. As I tend to play my music quite loudly, My dad got a few rough listens of Dukes music through my door. Finally my dad started listening and became a huge fan. This was quite pleasing to me, seeing as my dad was always showing me (new or old) music…now it was my turn to return the favor!

Long story short, my dad saw that Duke Special was coming to states and emailed his manager Phil, asking if Duke would be up for a house gig. Good news…he was! Needless to say, I was VERY excited!

We gathered a group of about fifty people (some we knew and some we didn’t) to come over the day after Thanksgiving for the show. We transformed our living room into a little venue after our delicious turkey dinner Thursday night, and Friday morning my brother and I made the drive to DIA to pick up a very favorite musician of mine. Was this really happening? To be honest I was really nervous… I mean Duke he really is Special!

With my heart pounding I stuck out my hand to shake Peter Wilson’s (Duke) and introduced myself. He was as nice as a guy could be, so down to earth and right on with the N .Irish humor. I feel so honored to have spent most of the day with him. He asked how he had come to be in Colorado of all places and I told him how I heard about his music and the connection I had with Northern Ireland. It was fun to hear him talk about where he went to school, how he started playing music, what he is currently working on for his next album and how he knows so many of the bands or other musicians I listen to. He asked a lot of question to my brother and I which meant a lot and we talked about art and school and Northern Ireland and traveling. It was so nice! On the way back he even bought me a coffee!

We had a lovely dinner with my family, a family friend and a guy from our church who did sound and Peter of course. Then for the show! The sound check alone was wonderful! I was getting something out of the bathroom and just hearing the piano and words to Portrait and knowing it wasn’t just coming out of our speakers was amazing! Aaron (the guy who did sound) did an incredible job with the setup and we had such clear sound. To open the night we had a second cousin of ours play traditional Irish music on the uiellann pipes. Then… it was just Duke and the piano and simply beautiful. Honestly, I like all of his songs. There’s not one that I don’t get bored with… I don’t remember all the songs he played, and he didn’t have a set list, but a few to mention were…
Last Night I Nearly Died
Freewheel
Diggin and Early Grave
Mocking Bird Wish Me Luck
Apple Jack
Sweet Sweet Kisses
Why Does Anybody Love
Everybody Wants A Little Something
Wanda, Darling of the Jocky Club
Brixton Leaves
I Let You Down
Portrait
Closer To the Start
As Good As It Gets
Yvette
Love Is A Series of Scars

… he played my favorite… Salvation Tambourine … he also played Hard Times Come Again No More by Stephen Foster.

After he played his first set, we took a break and he suggested that other people get up and play. This just shows how cool of a musician he was...it wasn't all about him (even though we thought it was!) he enjoyed rocking right along as we listened to everyone else play. He had a few musician friends there that he had met before, so they played and a few other people played. Under pressure from both Peter and my dad I sang Catfish with him. I could not believe this! My nerves got the better of me at the start, but eventually got into the song and was stunned after the fact, realizing I had just sung with Duke Special! After this little interlude, Duke played a few more songs, finishing with Come Thou Fount. He had a very honest introduction to the song, sharing with us that he had faith, yet he had many questions too.  This meant a lot to me, because I felt like I was right there along with him... As I am in a stage of life with so many different opinions and ideas, so many thoughts about God and Christianity being thrown at me, I couldn’t help but agree with him. Needless to say the song was breathtaking!

Around 12 O’clock everyone (except one good friend) had left and I thought surely Peter was exhausted after and early start and lots of traveling plus a long concert. However he shot on over to piano and said he’d like to play my family, uncle friend and I a few more songs. A private concert at 12 AM with Duke Special? Does it get any better? He played Sweet Baby James (STUNNING!) Regarding the Moonlight in Eastbourne, (So beautiful just him and the piano and the lyrics) and a few more covers I didn’t catch the name of…ending on a Bob Dylan song.  At this point it was around 1 AM and everyone was beat…(especially Peter!)
What a night! What an afternoon! What an experience! This one goes down in the books and my description here doesn’t even do a little bit of justice to the day. I’m thankful for Duke Special (Peter Wilson) and his music! It has brought so much joy to my life and to my family, and to so many others!

6 comments:

  1. Lauren, you captured it! All the goosebumps and incredulity and excitement. You make me want to listen to the Duke. Thanks for writing it down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous report Lauren - very cool to have a private gig with Duke and wonderful to see his music appreciated far and wide. You can also maybe understand how much we want him back this side of the water! (UK in my case).
    Duke is performing with another great Irish musician Foy Vance on Thursday 2nd Dec in Belfast then a brief European tour - busy guy! He also has some very exciting Orchestral performances in Dublin and Belfast and back to the East coast (Washington and NY so far) in March 2011 - Maybe see you then? Mike (MrFizzy on dukespecial.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's epic awesome. And I have never heard this guy. Maybe I will soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found your blog through the Duke forum. We've just had our own house gig on Sunday, my very first chance to see him live. It sounds like your experience was very similar to ours (including that drive to the airport, wondering if this was really really happening), and I imagine you're probably like me-still grinning ear to ear! Looking very much forward to the March 2011 return of the Duke to the States!
    Great post :)
    Beth (bepgaddis.xanga.com)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful breath taking posts. I adore the pictures and really am so so jealous! What incredible memories you got to make that night!

    ReplyDelete