Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Different


Well it’s been almost two weeks now since I’ve been home. One week was simple, routine, adjusting back into a different life, and the second week I started work. Getting back into “ranch” shape is no easy task, which includes lugging 5,000 lbs of brisket into a freezer, making 750 lbs of baked beans, lifting box after 50lb box of potatoes, and the list goes on. It’s no longer mental work I’m doing but physical. I needed these two weeks to in a way chill out, readjust, and stop my brain from going a million miles an hour like it did all year at Whitworth.

So now…now I’m ready to start writing. To start thinking again, processing, reading and looking for ways to make this a rich summer. It will be different from past summers, as they have been spent in my second home Northern Ireland and the Czech Republic. But “different doesn’t mean bad, it just means different” …that is a phrase I heard many times from Paul B. while I was there, and I’ve tried to remember that as I find myself in “different” situations. This summer will be filled with different. Different challenges, different lessons, different people, different culture and different opportunities to serve. I will miss N.I and Czech this summer,  with my entire heart I will…and I already do. But just because I’m not able to go this summer doesn’t mean I won’t go in the future Lord willing.

I am thankful for the time I get to spend with my family as those times have been short over the last three years, I’m thankful that the Lord has provided a job for me, and I’m looking forward to what the summer will bring. I pray that I will be able to embrace different this summer, be flexible, willing and joyful. I don't know what exactly lies ahead this summer but i'm excited to find out!

3 comments:

  1. Lauren, I'm proud of you for having the right attitude about this summer. I know God will do His work in your life this summer, teaching you, refining you, molding you into the woman He already has plans for. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for your thoughts on this summer and, like tricia said, your attitude on it. i resonate with what you said about having a different kind of work. it's nice to have a season of raw, physical labor to break up the intellectually strenurous labor during the school year. looking forward to getting to share this summer and the ranch work with you :) - amers

    ReplyDelete
  3. We miss you! It will be 'different' without you and all those WTL moments ;o)
    Enjoy the ranch, enjoy some time to rest (I hope you dial some of that into your schedule). I know your summer will be blessed. Proud of you!

    ReplyDelete